1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor

Rebuilt the petcock using Honda OEM replacement rubber parts. I soaked it in boiling hot vinegar/water mixture and cleaned it with a toothbrush, but the reserve hole was so clogged up that I ended up having to drill it out to get it clear again...

1966 CB450K0 Black Bomber survivor-img_2942.jpg
    momomoto likes this.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Beautiful weather has returned to northern Colorado, at least for the next week or so. I washed the bike finally and now it's just a matter of mechanicals and getting the shiny bits polished up. I started with the front wheel which (other than a few very small rust spots on the rim) polished up beautifully.

I discovered that the speedo wasn't working. I removed the cable to find it snapped. Hooked up a replacement cable and I can't turn it by hand. Unfortunately that means cracking open the speedo unit. Wish me luck!

I also blew one of the almost 50 year-old coils when I tried starting it a couple of days ago, so new coils and a PAMCO ignition unit are on the way from 4into1.com (since they had everything I needed in stock and free shipping). Fortunately everything seems pretty straightforward from the wiring diagrams so I'm hoping I can be up and running relatively quickly.

Ordered new Heidenau tires (K33 and K34) from Revzilla since they had them in stock. $50 to get them mounted and balanced at a local wheel builder and I'll be good to go!
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Just finished installing:

Pamco ignition
    New coils
    New plugs
    New intake rubbers/gaskets
    Used air filters/covers (to replace the Uni foam filters)

Set the valve clearance and put everything back together. Hit the starter and she fired right up!

Some notes:
    The PAMCO ignition and new coils make a huuuuge difference in the "smoothness" of the engine. Timing is spot on and the timing marks don't drift around like they did with the points.

I had some issues increasing RPMs with the timing light on, the engine just kept bogging out at about 3k. I realized that the battery/charging system just could not keep up with the timing light at higher RPMs. Used a 12V battery charger to power the timing light and the issue went away.

The new rubber intake boots cured my revving/idling/RPM hanging issues. I could not find any leaks in the original boots, but figures since they were hard there was bound to be a leak somewhere.

Bike now runs great with the standard carb adjustments (mix screw 1.5 turns out). Just had to make a slight adjustment to the idle screw on both sides to increase the idle a bit. The jets were one size up from stock (I'm near Denver/high altitude) and was considering another size up to compensate for the Uni filters, but I finally found a set of stock filters and boxes. I think these bikes really do run better with the stock "constricted" filtering system.

Now to get the new rubber on the rims and get to riding!
    MDM likes this.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Isn't the reserve hole supposed to have a screen on it?
    Jim

1973 CB 450 K6
    1975 CB 500T
    1985 CB650SC Nighthawk
    1985 VF 1100S Sabre
    2012 Buddy 125 (wifes)

There is an internal screen in the petcock, however the original had a tear.

I don't think it was a physical particle blocking the hole anyway, I think that gas sat for too long and solidified inside the reserve channel.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

It looks like the screen is just soldered in, I would love to find some new screens and repair a couple old petcocks I have.
    Jim

1973 CB 450 K6
    1975 CB 500T
    1985 CB650SC Nighthawk
    1985 VF 1100S Sabre
    2012 Buddy 125 (wifes)

Got about an hour of around-town riding in today. Unfortunately at the end the winter-ravaged streets were too much for one of my fork seals and it totally blew out. Fluid was literally pouring down the fork. I guess it's time to get those new seals. I need to replace the left lower fork cover anyway so now's as good of a time as any...
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Get some brass mesh/gauze from Ebay, a soldering iron and away you go. Wrap the mesh around a wood dowel (or similar) to get the correct diameter, and while it's there, tack it with molten solder. Easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
    Ordered new Heidenau tires (K33 and K34) from Revzilla since they had them in stock. $50 to get them mounted and balanced at a local wheel builder and I'll be good to go!
    Would be happy to know how these tires feel. Considering ordering the same set.

I'll keep you posted, I haven't had time to get them mounted yet (30 minute drive, then 2 hour wait, then 30 minute drive back). All riding/troubleshooting so far has been under 35 and around the neighborhood.
    1966 CB450K0 daily rider

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links