Honda Twins banner

1963 CL72 - Mild Restore

48K views 244 replies 27 participants last post by  scud 
#1 · (Edited)
1963 CL72 - Shiny Tank

hey everyone,
found this bike near me. it's listed as a 1963 305 CL...looking at pictures, I can say it looks correct to me, but I just wanted to post to see if anyone is seeing something I'm not. the seller states: "Almost all original.Chrome tank+Side covers. Runs good. Needs battery and throtle cable. Clear title. Currently under non-opt. " No Back Fees" Ignition key is broke off in ignition but will still turn. Have spare parts." the price is under $1,000...which given the location, condition, and title, I don't think is unreasonable. I really shouldn't buy it...but I'm struggling on that one :D all opinions and advice are valued and appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Honda 305 CL - Should I or Shouldn't I?

longdistancerider said:
One can never have too many bikes :lol:
CA non-op does have back fees if the yearly fee isn't kept up to date.
I know and I only have 1, so my rider:bike ratio is drastically low! the ad says no back fees...so hopefully they have paid the $20 or so every year that it has been registered non op...

#6 ·

66Sprint said:
It should be parked in YOUR driveway by now......
yes it SHOULD!!

Mydlyfkryzis said:
If I lived within an 8 hour drive, that bike would be mine already......That is a sweet bike!!
I'm a little less than 2hrs away...well worth it IMO!

I just spoke to the owner. turns out this is a 250 with a 305 top end...so a CL72 to a CL77 correct? he also said the rear wheel and swingarm were swapped to the 305 to accomodate a lower gearing ratio while being able to keep a steel sprocket (he said the 250 sprockets are available in lower gearing but he could only find aluminum and he wanted to stick with steel).

he has the majority of what has been taken off (rear wheel, swingarm...even a bottom end or two and some cylinders, set a points and a few random bits)

taking all of this into consideration...I set up a meet for this saturday. fingers crossed he doesn't sell it by then :D

#9 ·

Thats one of my favourite HT models! Go get it, you know you want to. Do it, do it! :D

Have a look at this video, especially at 7:05 and then try to resist buying this bike. :twisted:

[youtube:25brmur3]EVW5hm8HMqc[/youtube:25brmur3]

#10 ·

that video just hooked me...and the ladies love the honda twins!! :D :D

I got on the dmv site. did a fees check and it said the bike is currently registered through september 2013 from what I can tell. registration to get is out of non op is to be $80

I hope I did it right :lol: but yeah, talked to the owner again. he assured me that registration is current, in his name, and no back fees...

#11 ·

I suspect the difference between the 305 and 250 was just the bore. The 250/350 is like that, same as the 250/360. Honda just put smaller pistons and sleeve in for the lower displacement.

I know there were rules (still I think) that taxed bikes based on displacement, or in UK, on the bore. So if you take a 350 and make it 250, the bike is close to the same, but lower fees/taxes/whatever.

You can take a 1975 CB250, drop the cylinders and pistons from a CB360 engine right on, and voila, instant 360...

#12 ·

yeah, I think that is really cool to be able to swap out top ends for some more power!! arghh arghh arghh (tim allen voice) :D

I am going to "remind" the seller today that I am still very interested by asking him for directions, so that when I'm ready to leave tomorrow I'll be ready to get right on the road....

#14 ·

longdistancerider said:
May have to drop by and see this one. I'll be in Temecula 5-22 for the EDR 5 ride
man, I'd love to get involved in the EDR. hopefully 2014 :D give me a shout if you're in the neighborhood and come on by. I'll be posting pics tomorrow so long as this thing doesn't get sold out from underneath me...

#15 ·

EDR is open to all, run what you brung type affair even though it's sponsored by Biltwell. If you can make it we'll find accomodations for you with someone. Just have to have passport to get back into the US

#16 ·

longdistancerider said:
EDR is open to all, run what you brung type affair even though it's sponsored by Biltwell. If you can make it we'll find accomodations for you with someone. Just have to have passport to get back into the US
time off work would be the major factor...hell, I'd push my 350 to the limit, she'd get there one way or another...and I could carry enough in a backpack to fix just about anything on her, but alas, another time. I'll be looking forward to lots of pics from the ride though!! :D

#17 ·

2011 EDR 4[attachment=6:co0o3j5h]226774_2059729894231_1274171076_2495876_1093402_s.jpg[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=5:co0o3j5h]100_1241.JPG[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=4:co0o3j5h]100_1261.JPG[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=3:co0o3j5h]100_1265.JPG[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=2:co0o3j5h]IMG9380-S.jpg[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=1:co0o3j5h]IMG9409-S.jpg[/attachment:co0o3j5h][attachment=0:co0o3j5h]IMG9450-S.jpg[/attachment:co0o3j5h]

Attachments

#18 ·

great looking shots from EDR Jim!!

so.....I did it. it was in worse shape than I thought, but I decided to take it anyway. I just had to save it. seems like there are a few places that aren't original and kind of rigged together. but I'm going to bring it back to some of its original glory. not going to put a crazy amount of time and money into it, but I'm going to clean things up some. I'll be starting a project log soon...and you know I'll be needing all of your help!! :D

#23 ·

Znabb said:
Really glad this bike ended up in good hands. Looking forward to following your project log. :D
me too!!

so I'd like to get all your thoughts on how I should proceed. I am in absolutely no rush, so this entire process can take as long as needed.

I don't want to unnecessarily waste money on this project, but I also don't want to sell off parts I may need...but holding on to certain parts that could help to fund the project seems like a waste as well. so this is my dilemma that I hope to figure out before starting, so all of your insight is greatly appreciated!!

the things I got in the purchase were: complete-ish bike (no original parts will be pulled and sold from this bike, but as an example, it has uni pods on it which will be sold and replacement oem type filters acquired), two basically complete CL77 bottom ends, 1 complete CL77 top end, 1 CL77 non-titled frame with 350 front end

one of the bottom ends is supposedly locked up - I could part that one out?

I could take the good bottom and top...piece together a full CL77 motor - either rebuild it myself and keep as spare, part it out, or sell it as a "complete in need of rebuild"

I have the patience, so the long process of parting out and waiting for funds would not be a big deal for me...but I don't want to sell the parts, only to wish months later that I hadn't. what would the veterans do?

Mods, please move to projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.