Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Honda CB350 K4 tracker inspired build

Hi Guys,

My first post here, let me introduce myself a bit. My name is Dem and Iím from Belgium. Used to toy around with mopeds, still have a few btw. Later on I got my driver license and started to enjoy oldtimer cars. But since a few months I got the 2 wheeler bug back and I bought myself a CB350 K4, 1972. The bike was in complete running order when I bought it but it was a basket case when it came to looks.
    The previous owner painted the whole thing black (very cheap finish), The last few weeks I took the bike apart and tomorrow Iím gonna go to a local powder coater shop to get my frame and other small bits sandblasted and powder coated in a nice glossy black finish.

I already started a build topic on another forum (dotheton.com) but when I was looking for answers on the www I found this forum and since itís old Honda twins only it would be stupid not to connect here.

Itís my first 4 stroke and motorcycle build so I already have some dumb questions and probably there are more to come.
    The looks, Iím going for a 70ís tracker Ė scrambler - minimalistic look but Iím not going to cut up the frame in any sort of way. Itís not a rare bike but I want to preserve it a bit and show thatís not necessary to modify the frame to have a cool bike. I like custom but it will be a build that when Iím fed up with the look I can go back to stockÖ LOL, probably never gonna happen but I know more guys that have gone full circle. Iím gonna run CL exhausts, stock seat (modified), stock frame, stock engine, stock wheels, stock tank.
    All the other parts will be some sort of ďcustomĒ without braking the bank.

Dem

Re: Honda CB350 K4 tracker inspired build

this is where we started and where we are right now
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Cool! I love the old VW's as well. I've had a 59 and 66 Bug. My 66 had a 2386cc motor with dual 48 IDA's.
    1981 CM400T
    2011 Husqvarna TE449
    2012 Sportster 48

Jon,

that's awesome! a honda forum with another IDA lover!
    Mine has a 2179cc with IDA's, raptor cam and 11/1 CR, pretty mean...

Yesterday I dropped the frame, swingarm and other small stuff at the powder coater. In the meanwhile I already polished some small parts. Since it's a driver I'm nog going for a bling bling finish, just shiny enough to enjoy it.

Hello Dem,
    Nice polishing job, especially on the shocks. How'd you get them to look so good? On the cl360 I just finished, the shocks were pretty rusty and it took a lot of effort just to make them look presentable. I removed the spokes as I see you have done. Made it a lot easier to do them and the wheels. Good luck with your restoration.
    If you wanna drink of water, you gotta get it from a well
    If you wanna get to Heaven, you gotta raise a little Hell

Quote Originally Posted by oldpoo
    Hello Dem,
    Nice polishing job, especially on the shocks. How'd you get them to look so good? On the cl360 I just finished, the shocks were pretty rusty and it took a lot of effort just to make them look presentable. I removed the spokes as I see you have done. Made it a lot easier to do them and the wheels. Good luck with your restoration.
    Thx, the shocks were in pretty good order, I took them apart and cleaned every part one by one... for the spirals I found other ones from a CB400F, they are a bit bigger and the shocks look pretty "stuffed" now, I kinda like the look. Detail photos will follow!

For the spokes I ordered new chrome ones, the hubs are polished with belgom and steelwool, nothing special, the finish isn't 100% bling bling but that wasn't my goal either...

Now it's waiting for retreiving my parts from the powder coater. For now I'm painting some small parts with VHT wrinkle paint, I'm excited about the out come. The parts are drying as we speak.

I painted my hubs today with wrinkle paint and I'm pretty happy with the result, here is a little mockup.

I'm thinking about polishing the upper lines in the middle of the hub if the paint is 100% dry... not sure yet.

Made a lot of progress lately, it's time for some pictures. As soon as I have some tyres I can take her outside and take some real nice high resolution pictures,

and some more. for some reason the pictures are upside down... Moderator, don't know what I'm doing wrong, sorry!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links