Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: 1975 Honda CB200T - Restoration

1975 Honda CB200T - Restoration

Hi everyone! I like many here just got my first motorcycle, a 1975 Honda CB200T in Orange. I came across it when we moved to Ohio and made new friends. The bike was sitting on the neighbor's back patio for quite some time. A couple weeks ago, with nothing to work on I decided I would offer the owner $50 and see if he would bite. He did, and now I'm the proud (reluctant?) owner of the rustiest thing I've ever laid eyes on. But, it's complete, the frame is good and the motor turns over. I haven't had a broken or stuck bolt yet so I'm pretty happy. The clutch, shifter and rear brake all work so all is not lost. It even came with the key! I'll be doing a complete tear down and restoration over the course of however long it takes and the budget allows. After handing over my $50, getting the title and key I proceeded to push the bike 2.6 miles back to my apartment (garage). Today I blew the budget on a new battery, a battery minder, bench grinder with wire wheels, torque wrench and miscellaneous other tools I needed an excuse to buy. General loose plan is to determine compression and commence with the tear down. Read along if you like, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!
    -A

RondatheHonda likes this.
    Currently working on a 1975 Honda CB200T.
    My build thread

Compression test?

First question, what have you guys been using to check compression? Does Autozone, Napa etc rent a compression tool?
    My build thread

Re: 1975 Honda CB200T - Restoration

Compression testers are usually quite cheap you may be able to rent or borrow one.
    You will need the correct attachment to screw into the plug holes. Only screw up hand tight.
    Do the test with the choke and throttle fully open or better still with the carbs off. It should be done with the engine warmed up but will give a reasonable indication cold.
    Nige
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Looks like we will be restoring our 200's at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by empty
    Sweet, looking forward to see how it goes!
    My build thread

Quote Originally Posted by nigelrharris03
    Compression testers are usually quite cheap you may be able to rent or borrow one.
    You will need the correct attachment to screw into the plug holes. Only screw up hand tight.
    Do the test with the choke and throttle fully open or better still with the carbs off. It should be done with the engine warmed up but will give a reasonable indication cold.
    I have a compression gauge, sadly I don't have the attachment for this bike. The motor is not currently a runner, it's not frozen (I don't think, i could gently push it over with the kick starter). I blew my budget for this month already on tools, so it'll pretty much be disassembly and cleaning until next month. I do have some questions regarding bits and pieces on the bike I found, so I'll post those with pix shortly.
    My build thread

Quote Originally Posted by CB200T75
    Yea me too, I just got started cleaning and taking things apart yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by CB200T75
    Yea me too, I just got started cleaning and taking things apart yesterday...
    Yeah, I started on the deconstruct too. I verified that the motor turned over at least and then started going through and taking off the wind shield, air filters etc. Mine has gas in it from 1984! It reeks! Not looking forward to that undertaking...
    My build thread

As for new rims, would something like these work? The original ones are TRASHED with rust and nasty. These are 18" aluminum ones that look like they are for dirt. http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Aluminum-Re ... 816&sr=1-3

I was going to have the local moto shop relace them.
    My build thread

More work done.

I did some more work on the CB, just further deconstruction. I took pix and vids, but won't bore you with them. Just show the progress shots. If anyone needs (really boring, rambling vids) vids of how the wiring goes back together, I have some.

I've been sorting the bike into 3 bins. 1: Seat and Gas tank. 2. Stuff that comes off, gets labeled, bagged and binned. 3. Stuff that is getting sand blasted and powder coated. You can see bins 2 and 3.

The truly amazing thing is how easy everything is coming apart. I'm dumbfounded, this would not stand for a Michigan vehicle. I would have bolts breaking off left, right and center.

Question Time!

1. The carbs are gunked up to where the dark colored cylinder thing isn't moving freely. What do I soak these in?

2. On the carbs, there is a brass needle looking thing, looks adjustable, can I clean this up with anything? Emery cloth?

3. What are the silver rectangular things with a black, yellow and green wire coming out of them? Located in the middle of the bike. Mine had 2, one wasn't hooked at all. Any ideas? They say "12V" on them.

4. I'm guess the magic box at the front right side of the bike with the spark plugs sticking out of them is the condensor, or some such thing? Do I just buy a new one? It looks a little "used" so to speak. Thought would be appreciated.
    My build thread

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Links