ON to the next, the 450 in the trailer.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ON to the next, the 450 in the trailer.

ON to the next, the 450 in the trailer.

Ok well as you guys all know, my shop has be come clustered with another project. Ever since I can remember I wanted a 450 or a 500T since seeing one in a smallish used only motorcycle shop when I was around 16-17. I was there mainly because that was the only place that my best friend could find parts for his then new to him 72 500f. We stood there and drooled and marveled at the ability to have damn near the same sized engine as his just 2 less cylinders. I can still remember the guy behind the counter trying to sell it for a couple grand, well over what either of us could afford at the time. Almost makes me wonder were the that bike is now. It would have been around 15-20 years old even then and a complete survivor. Should have borrowed the money and bought it but hindsight is always 20/20.

ANY HOW, flash back to NOW or last weekend when I managed to run down mess of parts as well as a more or less complete 1972 CB450k5. Cost, 400 bucks. Price, well after wanting one for almost 15 years now? I dare say priceless but I think I'm pretty damn stoked regardless. Condition? Well, let's just say she got parked outside and left for a while. There is LOADS of surface rust and plenty of corrosion. The engine stuck and I have had it sitting for a few days SOAKING with my own concoction, (leftover ATF and Coleman fuel and PB blaster) and not much has happened. I had a feeling it wasn't going to loosen up so I guess the next stop is to take things down to the bare frame and go from there. Then some disassembly and some BEATING will prolly relieve that tension. Its going to be a fairly long road and I'm glad I have another bike to ride so I can make this as pretty and as stock as I can.

The story starts now, the pictures and the pages follow, thanks for watching...here's some refreshers

I spent most of today working on it and I will get those pictures uploaded and posted here in a few.
    Hugo likes this.
    Franz >>> 450 build >>>360 Build

Re: ON to the next, the 450 in the trailer.

Good for you, looks like you found a good one, and with all the parts to boot. I feel the same about the 450, I was going to get a 550 but past up two and when a 450 came up locally I bought my second 450. The wife say,s I can,t go on craigslist anymore. What's the plan for your bike?

Pretty nice haul for $400!
    "It's called a kick start. It's how real men start their motorcycles."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Ok as I promised a little go through of what has gone down over the last week and today. I got the bikes home and sorted most of the stuff out and I figured I would at least put the frame back to at least rolling status so I can move it around. It's also more fun to sit on that way.

I started into the 72 taking the tank off and the seat. I ordered in keys for both bikes and got them all in last Monday and all the locks still work. I took a few pictures of someone's handy work on the coils and the throttle cable. Wonder what's under the electrical tape?

I also notice that the gauges appear to have swapped positions, I guess I have something for 21k mile bikes since the 360 had that much on it when I got it. Nothing like rust every where.

The entire top side of the engine looks like it is covered in a coat of MUD, most likely from the mud wasps we have around here, I'm glad the previous guy cleaned most of it off, I'm still finding nests though. The sprocket cover was FULL of dirt and straw and other things like a mouse had made a house out of it.

Of course I had my help..watching for said mouse..

I'll let that soak in and do the rest in the morning. I will be showing WHY you don't leave an engine OPEN to the elements in the next installment.

Quote Originally Posted by dgallagher
    Good for you, looks like you found a good one, and with all the parts to boot. I feel the same about the 450, I was going to get a 550 but past up two and when a 450 came up locally I bought my second 450. The wife say,s I can,t go on craigslist anymore. What's the plan for your bike?
    The first one is going to be as close to restored factory as I can manage within my limits.

The second, well if I can find an engine, I donno yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 74shovel
    Pretty nice haul for $400!
    Yeah, that's why I jumped on it. I've let 3 others go by when I should have bit on them. So far this one looks to be the worst.

Looks like you have some interesting times ahead. I will certainly be following this build
    Nige
    Donate to 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

I'll be following this one - but man, some of youse guys are gluttons for punishment. :)
    i got wiring loose inside my head :: my 450 K5 build thread :: my XV920 build thread :: go shop the hondatwins.net store

Thanks guys, I'm already having more fun than expected. I manged to get the engine out and more or less down to the block. It required some thought and some FIRE and ICE and some pounding but I got it, but that is for later. Rich, I like keeping my expectations LOW, makes for a better turn around in the end, plus any small piece that gets cleaned up and looking good is just one more battle won, and more stuff for idle hands to work on.

AS stated the motor was stuck and from some peeking through the spark plug holes I could see piles of rust sitting in the right hand side cylinder. I've been soaking it in all sorts of chemicals for at least a week but for some damn reason nothing seemed to be moving. Well when I got the engine out, I had to roll it on its back to put the little crappy stand I made on it and when I got it back rolled onto the stand I noticed that in the mess that poured out of the intake port was a good 3-4 tablespoons of WATER still in it. DAMNIT!!! All that time I had been spraying and flushing with stuff that FLOATS ON WATER!!! No wonder I wasn't seeing anything moving inside as I checked things. I guess that's what I get for not paying attention. Anyhow, Onwards....

Motor out and on the floor, more crap... I can't believe how massive this thing looks.

Starter Bolt twisted?? I'll get a better picture later but trust me the caps don't line up.

Now I got this cool little stand because it was $25 bucks Harbor Frieght, and I fully intend to use it as a grinding/polishing station ONCE it serves its secondary duty...

Yup you guessed it... new engine stand. I'm going to temporarily attach the engine as such while dismantling it, once it gets ready to build back up I will make a nice steel plate that will bolt to the top of the stand. Over all it works nicely, everything is pretty much right at table height or higher so it's easy working, even has a tray underneath to toss things while you are taking things apart.

If you look under the stand you can see the offending puddle of water.

I think I will stop there again, I want to keep most of these posts shorter this time around. Next is dismantling the top part of the engine, which I want in its own post. Had a mess to clean up on the floor anyway.

Yep its a bg lump, weight,,,,,, about 1 hernia I would say, after lifting it myself, that was before I had the new metal shoulder though

I found that using a broken wood hockey stick handle, it was much easier to cary between 2, also this helped with putting the engine back in the frame too
    Nige
    Donate to 66Sprint's LSR Build http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22-...d-attempt.html and http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...r-attempt.html
    CB450K0 Bomber 1967
    CB650Z 1978

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links